The fourth grade core curriculum includes Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Health, and Language Arts. Physical Education, Music, Art, Guidance, and Library classes are conducted during the activity block each day. State and local SOL’s provide the mainframe for all instructional planning.
Classroom instruction involves whole group and cooperative learning strategies. Small instructional groups are frequently formed temporarily on an interest or remedial needs basis.
Assessment is an ongoing process and classwork is sent home weekly to be reviewed by parents. The fourth grade teachers strive to incorporate technology frequently with computer carts containing one-to-one Chromebooks and a computer lab.
The fourth grade program strives
- To promote an active learning environment that encourages working, thinking, and communicating together.
- To produce common sense mathematicians and competent problem solvers.
- To develop an appreciation for the rich history of Virginia and the contributions of Virginia to our country.
- To provide a variety of reading and writing experiences across the curriculum to make learning relevant and authentic.
- To motivate and encourage all levels of readers by placing a constant classroom emphasis on a variety of literature.
- To utilize hands-on experiences in science, and math to help in the development and understanding of key concepts.
- To foster the partnership of parent, teachers, and child in the responsibility of the child’s education.