The fifth grade at South Salem School has a student enrollment of about eighty students with four classrooms located downstairs in the new building. .
The four classroom teachers use a departmentalization structure for the four core subject areas. Teachers are on two teams with one teacher teaching math and science, and the other teacher teaching language arts and social studies.
Students will take three SOL tests in fifth grade: reading, math, and science. These tests will be given in May.
Students also enjoy an activity block each day which includes art, music, physical education, library, guidance, and D.A.R.E. instruction.
The Fifth Grade Curriculum Strives
- To provide a positive environment for learning
- To help students to develop study skills
- To help students to develop lifelong organizational skills
- To prepare each student for the middle school experience
- To foster self-discipline and independence in each student
- To provide an environment conducive to self-expression and creativity
- To provide a level of computer literacy in each student
- To provide a curriculum which is guided by the Standards of Learning but exceeds these standards when appropriate